Job Description – Marketing and Community Impact Director
Please send cover letter and a resume with three references to 709 Blount Avenue, Guntersville, AL 35976 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Deadline for consideration March 30, 2018.
United Way of Marshall County’s role is engaging, convening and mobilizing community resources to address root causes of the county’s pressing health and human service needs in three primary areas: Education, Financial Stability and Health. Our goal is to engage communities to create lasting positive changes to community conditions.
The Marketing and Community Impact Director serves as the communications resource to the executive director, board of directors, campaign cabinet and any others responsible for informing the citizens of Marshall County on the role of United Way. This position is responsible for developing and implementing a systematic, year round communications program to promote and enhance the mission and public image of the organization and assures effective two-way, year round communication with all funded partner agencies to promote positive working relations. This full-time position will report directly to the Executive Director of United Way of Marshall County.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Become conversant about the United Way brand, mission, and background in order to convey and integrate brand messages consistently and appropriately in handling inquiries, questions, and interactions with volunteers, vendors, agencies and the public.
- Produce all campaign materials – posters, pledge cards, brochures, video, PSAs, newspaper articles, campaign updates, volunteer training materials
- Coordinate all direct mail solicitation and thank you letters
- Coordinate media coverage through mass media communications to include press releases, fact sheets and press kits for all United Way activities and events
- Maintenance of all social media platforms
- Support the Executive Director with the annual campaign and ongoing fundraising activities. Assist with workplace employee campaigns.
- Produce awards and special recognition pieces for companies, volunteers, leadership donors, etc. to ensure appropriate recognition and publicity.
- Coordination of all campaign-related events and annual United Way special events
- Provide staff support to campaign volunteers
- Develop yearlong strategic marketing plan for Bd. of Directors. Develop any necessary communication material to support plan. Serve as liaison to United Ways of North Alabama area-wide marketing group.
- Ensure communication with donors via newsletter and periodic appropriate recognition.
- Coordinate United Way speaking engagements and presentations for service clubs and civic organizations
- Represent United Way in relevant community activities by attending community events and building relationships with individuals and businesses, specifically as it relates to improving the annual campaign.
- Maintain a history file to include newspaper articles, video library, print material etc.
- Develop and update content on United Way’s website and troubleshoot issues as needed
- Stay current on the latest technologies and identify new opportunities
- Serve as the liaison between United Way and its partner agencies to ensure mutually supporting communications; coordinate all meetings with agencies; request and review agency quarterly reports
- Coordinate annual allocation process to include press releases, production of all materials, communications to committee and agencies, assist Executive Director with compilation and review of applications, coordination & planning of meetings.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned by the Executive Director
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and or ability required.
- Demonstrated excellence in communicating effectively, both written and orally, including making speeches with professional presentation expertise
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher
- Ability to learn and become proficient in use of relevant software and internet related programs
- Experience with the coordination and planning of special events and meetings
- Knowledge of, and ability to create and edit content for various marketing materials and internal communication pieces
- Experience with direct solicitation and/or fundraising
- Knowledge and experience working with mass media communication and a wide variety of social media
- Effective public relations, promotion, marketing and business communication skills
- Good organizational skills and ability to plan and act independently on projects with minimal supervision; simultaneously manage and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Builds trust and rapport quickly
- Relates well to people of varying backgrounds
- Strong focus on logistics and attention to detail
- Valid driver’s license and reliable personal transportation
EDUCATION &/OR EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree in marketing or related field or associate's degree with relevant experience. Experience in nonprofit environment a plus.
PROFESSIONAL EXPECTATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Dependable, punctual and self-motivating
- Attention to good professional ethics and standards
- Maintain confidentiality of customer records
- Based on work plan of the organization, position occasionally requires work beyond traditional hours of employment.
- Sense of loyalty and commitment to the organization’s mission
- Works as a team member with staff and volunteers
- Complies fully with United Way of Marshall County’s Code of Ethics
- Some lifting, travel, early morning and evening meetings required
United Way of Marshall County is an equal opportunity employer.